Repository Forums Support WooCommerce Extended Coupon Features PRO slow calculate_totals() – tips? Reply To: slow calculate_totals() – tips?

Pablo
Participant

I’ve made slight customizations to it to attend to this store’s needs, none have affected performance (i’ve measured them). But to rule out the intrincacies of my custom installation, i went ahead and attempted to isolate the problem (Something that, in retrospect, i see i should’ve done from the beggining). Blank woo with storefront install + latest ECF + a few (6) coupons set to auto. While the amount of miliseconds decreased (to around 400), the trend persisted: update_matched_autocoupons() continued to take around 40% of the server response time.

40% is something that i think we can live with on cart and checkout pages, but not product listing and detail pages.

The biggest question i’m asking myself is: does update_matched_autocoupons have to be hooked to woocommerce_after_calculate_totals? I see that the plugin was coded defensively with the use of add_action_once, but, i can’t help but wonder if that could be further improved, ie: only reevaluate coupons whenever something about the cart does change, and only then. Perhaps adding a middleman? The middleman could be hooked to woocommerce_after_calculate_totals in order to preserve the desired execution order, but it would check wether coupons do need reevaluating before calling update_matched_autocoupons(). Or something along this line.